This fused glass bowl is one of those pieces that evolved into the finished design. The original design was from the Bullseye Glass website Tint Tone Plate. This is a great website for technical information on glass fusing and design ideas. I used strips of glass in a bronze cathedral, opal ivory, and clear. Mine was going to be a rectangle measuring 12.5 inches x 7.5 inches. During the first full fuse firing a “mump” developed. A “mump” is where air is trapped between two layers of glass and can’t escape.
I used my tile saw to cut the piece in two where the mump was. Then it went back into the kiln to fire polish the cut edge. Next I slumped the rectangle into a stainless steel mold. I am sure I mentioned in another post what a pain it is to kiln wash stainless molds. When I took the piece out of the mold, the kiln wash left a lot of texture on the back of the piece. I probably needed a few more coats of kiln wash. Sometimes texture is good. In this case I wasn’t happy with the way this looked.
I sand blasted the bottom of the plate. I liked the look of that, and then decided I also wanted to sand blast some of the top for added interest. I masked off a few stripes and went to the sand blaster. I liked it; the texture added interest, but somehow it didn’t feel right. There was too much contrast.
I sanded the mold to remove all of the kiln wash and then use a boron nitrate spray as a release agent. I put the dish back into the mold and did another slump fire schedule in the kiln. This softened the sand blasted areas leaving a very subtle texture.
Finally! I am happy with the end result. Here are some pictures.