Opened the kiln this morning to find this…
It might be hard to see at first, but the top layer of glass cracked as it was heating up; usually the result of heating up too quickly. The bottom layer was a transparent cobalt blue that “seeped” up into the crack of the lighter blue as it continued heating up and fuse together. I used the same firing schedule that I used on another piece that turned out perfect. The only difference on this one was that I used kiln shelf paper instead of kiln wash. I rarely use shelf paper, but occasionally I don’t have a prepared shelf ready to go. And in this case I was too impatient (and maybe lazy) to prep one and wait for it to cool down enough to use. I can’t imagine that the shelf paper made a difference, but who knows.
Here is a picture of the back of the piece.
Lemons to lemonade I say!
I cut the piece up on my tile saw. Instead of one large tray, I will now have a smaller plate, a small channel plate, and some components for an as yet to be designed project. The crack will actually end up being a great design element.