This is the result of of the stacked glass piece I fused in the kiln yesterday. It consists of a layer of clear glass (3mm), a thin layer of black (2mm), and then the stacked pieces.When I put it in the kiln I debated whether or not to dam the sides. I knew the extra volume of the stacked pieces would displace some of the glass. But because I used the thin black instead of the standard thickness and left space between the stacks, I wondered just how much it would distort the edges. I decided I wanted to see for myself just how much it would displace. I reasoned that I could always straighten the sides later by grinding and then refiring. It was a “what if” kind of experiment for me.
I was pleasantly surprised when I opened the kiln. Yes the edges were distorted, but it is a subtle wave. I like the way the irregular edge looks. I used my standard full fuse schedule and because of the extra glass it left a very subtle amount of texture on top. I think this subtle texture with the irregular edges is a great combination. Today I’ll slump into a new mold that I bought last year and am just now getting around to trying out.